Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Yarn Hoarding is Normal

I finally decided on a pattern last night.

It started with a sympathy beer.  I felt sorry for myself.  I was entrenched in worry for a project that I hadn't even started yet.

 note: this is much more normal than it sounds, at least for me.  I often fret over things that aren't part of actuality yet.  I worry, worry, worry, and then when they happen, or get going....I let go; move on.

Knitty was overwhelming to me.  I wanted to try Ravelry, but I'd locked myself out of my account, because I'm ridiculous when it comes to remembering passwords.  I try and just use the same one or two over and over again, but then I'll get all tricky and shake things up, so I'm often locked out of one account or another because I've outsmarted myself with passwords.  Awesome.

Okay.  Solution to all of this? Eat an entire medium pizza.  Supreme.  Extra cheese.  Garlic crust.

Done.

Now continue to peruse Knitty in the hopes that something would jump out at me as What I Want to Make.  I open every pattern and issue again, and scour them.

A scarf? Portable.  Inexpensive....but its already hot in Texas.  So....maybe?

A skirt.  Seasonally appropriate.  Fun.  I've never knit a skirt.  But....fiddly.  Elastic and zippers.  Ugh.  I don't really want to super finish anything right now.

A handbag? note:  I'm not eighty-seven.  I just like the word 'handbag.'  That's a possibility.  Small.  Or not.  Any colour is acceptable.  Good for warm weather.  And still, though, it didn't catch my heart.

What to do??  Drink second beer.  Because we haven't consumed enough calories with the Entire Medium Pizza we've already inhaled.  At least I won't get drunk.

At this point, my twelve year old daughter comes in, asks what I'm doing, unlocks my Ravelry, sets up a new one (the other was severely out of date, as in my user name was still contained my ex-husbands last name [we divorced in 2009], and the Kid pointed out that it would be beneficial to start one that just chronicled KnittyYear), plays the Weezer song she taught herself on her guitar in about an hour, sets my blog up on my phone, gives me a hug, and wanders away.

Damn kids.  All smart and stuff.

I move up to a cocktail.  Vodka and soda.  Mostly soda.  Fewer calories than beer.  Way fewer than an Entire Medium Pizza.

I notice, while filling my glass, that my feet are cold.

Socks.  I want to make socks.  I love making socks.  I love them so much that I usually only make one.  I have quite a collection of single socks.  Sock yarn is pretty and addictive.  Some of it stripes and some of it doesn't and the patterns are interesting and fun and I really like socks.

But I usually only make one.

Maybe not socks.

Oy vey.  What am I going to do?

I decide to go look at KnitPicks, and chose a yarn I want to work with, and then find a suitable project.

So here's the issue with KnitPicks: I want to own all the yarn.  All of it.  I want to own some of every colour and every line and every weight and I want to fill my house up with yarn.  I am a yarn hoarder. I am okay with that.

The Pearl.  Tricky KnitPicks.
I look at every type of yarn and every colour of yarn and I fall completely in love with the Hawthorne in The Pearl colorway. 
I want it.  I want to wear it.  I want to make socks and shawls and little girl sweaters with it.  I want to decorate my house with it.  I want to wrap my pillows in it, so it seeps into my dreams.


Its. Not. Available. Until.  August.
August.
AUGUST.

I don't know what time it is where you are, but it's FREAKING MAY here in Texas.

Forget it.

I start my search over.  I don't really want to do something solid coloured, because I like to use all the colours at once.  The Kid once described one of my sweaters as appearing to have been "thrown up on by a rainbow.  Or a unicorn.  Or maybe both."  Though she did assure me that it smelled better than unicorn vomit.  And she wears it.  In the two months in Texas its cold enough to wear a sweater.

This has nothing to do with knitting.
I filter yarn selection into the Multi option.  note: every time I use this function I hear Mila Jolavich saying "MultiPass.  Lee-loo Dallas.  MultiPass."  There's about a million choices.  So I sort low to high on price.  There's still a million choices.

At this point I get distracted by needles and books and everything else.  I just start clicking on things I like.  Trying to guess how much I might need in the future for random projects.

I go to my basket to checkout.  I have $438.16 worth of stuff in my basket.  This is quite an accomplishment, even for me.  I have clearance books and sale yarns and every colorway of Chroma in worsted and most in fingering weights.  *sigh*  I have to pare it down.


I finally get it to a reasonable cost and I've selected:
  •  Shadow Tonal Lace Weight Yarn.  Its discontinued, so I bought two hanks of 440 yards in the Queen Anne colorway.  Its 100% merino wool.  I have no idea what I'm going to make with it, since I've never really made a lace weight anything, but it was pretty.  And discontinued.
  • Chroma Worsted.  Three balls of 198 yards in the Orchard colorway.  70% wool, 30% nylon.  One of my favourite yarns in the entire world.  I don't have any in my stash right now, because I always use every bit of it.
  • Orchard
    Queen-Anne
    Supernova
  • Chroma Fingering.  Exactly the same as worsted, except 396 per ball, and I only bought one in the Supernova colorway.  


I'm happy with my choices.  There's not much black or green in it, which is what I choose by default.  And they're all sort of cost effective.

And.....back to Knitty.  Here's what I've got:
  • Abby: a cowl, gorgeously knit in hand-spun on the site, and recommended for KidSilkHaze,but which I think I'll use the Chroma Fingering for....but maybe not.
  • Askew: a tank-top thing that's originally knit in Noro, but which I'll definitely use the Chroma Worsted for.  I almost always substitute Chroma Worsted for Noro, because its more cost effective, and it keeps me out of the LYS.  Now I love my local shop,  but its deadly on my pocketbook.  Deadly.
  • Afternoon Tea: It comes in three different variations, all with different yarns, but I'll choose one and use the Shadow Tonal for it.  Possibly.
Which brings me to my system.  Wait for it....wait....
.....
 Alphabetically!  I'll knit things in somewhat alphabetical order.  Anything starting with 'A" will be knit first.

Simple.  Effective.  And purely coincidental after selecting my first three projects.

Amazing.

The yarn is suppose to arrive within two weeks, so ladies and gentlemen, that gives us roughly thirteen days to finish up what we've already started.

Go us.

No comments:

Post a Comment